Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thoughts on Inspiration Board

Dear Ellen,
Here are items, mostly magazine pages, that I have collected over the past 2-3 years. There are also some paint chips and other items that inspire me. If I could tack them to the wall, up they went! Since I have had most of these pictures, etc. for a while (and pore over them endlessly), I never realized how helpful it could be to see them all at once. It helps me isolate themes and trains my eye to 'edit' for what I love---really love, not some faddish thing I think I love. After going through this process, I notice these common elements: I love pale colors, but still a bit of pop every once in a while. I love pinks. I love any combination of red and blue, even if there is tons of blue and only the teensiest sliver of red. Or even if the combination is pink and turquoise. I love whites, but I am learning to not be afraid of the occasional dark wood or even black item. I love rainbows, but in small doses. I do like things to be edited but not austere, and I am and always will be a hopeless romantic. When people come over, I want them to feel, more than anything else, at home, taken care of, uplifted. If they admire my little pieces of artwork and vignettes, fine (or even if they hate them, fine). But I just want people to feel like they have a place in my home.









No comments:

Post a Comment