Saturday, March 13, 2010

Birthday Cake and Cookies


Dear Hannah,

Thank you for letting me help you make Sam's birthday cake, especially after I berated you for serving strawberry shortcake at his first birthday. I just believe in icing the way you believe in glitter.

My first birthday cake had a ridiculous amount of orange and yellow icing since I had a Bert and Ernie Cake (thank you mommy). Then, the same year I had a school bus cake, my mother's best friend made her son a fire engine cake. My mother still cringes over the calls made to inform the mothers not to be alarmed when they changed their children's diapers. Despite this story, I love the idea of babies covered in icing - it's sweet on sweet!

Sam's cake was perfect and I've been craving it ever since. It is a 1950s idyllic recipe, which I am happy to share on your behalf:

Sam's Second Birthday First Birthday Cake (also known as Poke Cake)

1 box white cake mix
2 packages Jello (flavor of your preference)
2 c. boiling water
1 tub cool whip

Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Pour batter into 2 round 8 inch pans or one 9 x 11 inch pan. Bake as directed then cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Return to pans. Poke all over with a fork.

Meanwhile, make Jello as directed. While still warm, pour over poked cake. Refrigerate cakes for 3-4 hours. (hint: dip pans in hot water to loosen before removal from pan) Ice cake with cool whip and decorate! Ta da!

At the moment, Hannah is baking cookies while I type. She is a cookie genius, with whom I humbly shared this recipe for Vanishing Oatmeal cookies (hers always turn out better than mine, though!). This is one of the things I will miss most...

love,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment