Thursday, June 3, 2010

Color Inspiration: a reply

Dear Hannah,

Is it the kitchen? I LOVE the kitchen. I want blue floors NOW! And it's my primary color palate! The blue floor, yellow walls and red accents (plus the yellow pot just like mine!). But it could be the shelves. How I love stacks of books and kitchen utensils! I want everything blue or red or orange or hot pink, but especially orangey-coral and turquoise.

I must paint. Something. Anything! You're making me jealous with your projects and pictures. My goodness you hit the nail on the head with your last post! Lately, I've been obsessively going to Home Depot and picking up paint chips. It feels like shopping, but I walk out the doors without paying a penny! I've accrued quite a collection. How does one pick a neutral? You know I've got the caramel couch to contend with and all the shades of brown furniture, not to mention my obsession with bright colors. White is not an option. I want a neutral so that I can be the pop of color in a room. Consider the following...

Though I can't remember where, I heard once that you should decorate your house in the colors you wear. That way, you always look fabulous in your own home. However, I'm not sure I really want to do that considering my wardrobe is all bright. My favorite colors to wear are hot pink and orange (mostly tangerines and corals) and sometimes lime green. Black and gray make me look pallid, but I love navy blue as a neutral. I don't care for khaki, but do like creams. My wedding dress was the most beautiful shade of ivory. But I digress...

I've always loved shopping with my mother (not just because she buys me things and yes, this is related to my quest for the perfect neutral). I love her opinion, the way she decisively knows her likes and dislikes. I love her sense of style, eye for quality, and adventurous fashion sense. I love that she loves shoes and tells me I have cute feet. I love her perspective on the history of fashion and the patterns she sees. I also love that she says I have a 1955 body trying to wear 2010 clothes. It's a challenge. I also love that she doesn't beeline for the sales rack and tells me my sister got my grandmother's legs, but I got her bosom. It's so cute when she says bosom! Today, after trying on dozens of things, I picked three, yes three, orange garments. Here are the latest additions to my wardrobe (THANK YOU, MOM!):
Oratory dress Tiny Windows dress Arid Season Button Up


You see what I mean about bright colors? I need a neutral to pop against!

Also today, I ate a red cookie at Provence. It made me miss you!

before and after...


I thought our table was awfully pretty:



It reminded me of our "lunch" at graduation...



So, to sum it up:
1) I love your color inspirations
2) I love orange
3) I love shopping with my mom
4) I love cookies from Provence
5) I love you

Please help me in my neutral quest.

xoxo,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment