Thursday, September 30, 2010

Visual confirmation

Dear Ellen,
I came across this quote today in the brand-new just-launched Rue Magazine (online only).

"Since we are designers, every item we buy has to fit into the moodboard of our lives." -Jamie Laubhan-Oliver

Yes! Exactly! Or, as someone said, "Have nothing you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." I think this is both easy and hard today. Back when you only had one milk jug to hang on one wood pail, everyone's style was 'rustic chic. ' :) But now there are so many different styles, and some objects that look created without any visual considerations whatsoever. It can create a lot of visual chaos. I think sometimes non-visual folks think aesthetes are trying to be jerks, when really we are trying to create peace and harmony to keep ourselves sane. I view everything that comes into my home as a potential intruder, sent here to ruin my carefully achieved visual order. It may seem ruthless, but when you consider all my rat-piles, it is vitally necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment