Saturday, October 2, 2010

Decorating Steps (According to Domino)

Dear Ellen,
You know I am not quite over the fact that Domino Magazine is no more. They basically taught me how to decorate. I've always been artistic, but only in 2D before that. I'm so glad I have their book, Domino The Book of Decorating, a room by room guide to creating a home that makes you happy. Here are the 8 steps. Don't skimp on the first one.
1. find inspiration
-cast a wide net
-start a file (good job!)
- look for themes (some are emerging)
2. determine your style
right now we are calling you modern nostalgia. I might offer Funky Traditional Prepster. :)
3. Consider how you'll use the room.
-think about your lifestyle
-observe what doesn't work
4. Assess your stuff
-Photograph everything in your home! (OOoh, I haven't completely done this!)
-Sort
-Measure
5. Draw up a floor plan (I definitely haven't done this)
6. Set a budget
-figure out what you have to spend
-choose an approach (fast splurger, patient gatherer, or impulsive paint-happy spaz like me)
7. research, research, research
8. create a design scheme (this is not the same thing as your inpsiration board. It's more tailored to you).
9. make a decorating schedule (buy THIS fabric, get THIS paint, etc., etc., etc.)

Do you see why I think enlisting help may be a good thing? It just depends on how quickly you want your house to look pulled together. As for me, I'm still not there but I at least know what I like. Learning the hard way can be expensive, though!!

How are we doing? Inspired?? Overwhelmed?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment